Castelletto di Branduzzo (Italy), 30 August 2020 – After the first races on Saturday, it was time for the final two races on Sunday at the Motodromo of Castelletto di Branduzzo. After some heavy rain during the night, the sun came out and it turned to be a great race day with spectacular races. The victory in the S1GP class was for Phoenix Racing rider Marc-Reiner Schmidt after some epic racing. In the S2 class the victory went to TM Factory Racing rider Diego Monticelli.
S1GP Race 2
In sunny, partly clouded weather conditions the second race of the GrandPrix of Lombardia started at 12:30 hours in Castelletto di Branduzzo. It was Degasoline rider Mauno Hermunen who took the holeshot out of the first corner, with Phoenix Racing rider Marc-Reiner Schmidt, TM Factory Racing rider Thomas Chareyre and KTM MTR rider Lukas Hollbacher. Schmidt and Chareyre had other plans and already in the first lap they passed the Finnish rider making Schmidt first and Chareyre second. Right behind Hermunen, Lukas Hollbacher was pushing very hard as he didn’t want to lose the connection to the top. After a few laps Hollbacher passed Hermunen and began his chase to the leaders. In the lead it was still Marc-Reiner Schmidt who was first but Thomas Chareyre was less than a second behind him. Behind the top four, three Phoenix Racing riders had their own race. Elia Sammartin, Nicolas Cousin and Milan Sitniansky had to fight for fifth as the rest was already out of sight. Hermunen in his turn was on his own as Schmidt, Chareyre and Hollbacher were running away from him. Chareyre and Hollbacher gave all they got in them and their bikes, but Marc-Reiner Schmidt was in control countering every attack until the finish line making him first, Thomas Chareyre second and last spot in the top three was Lukas Hollbacher. With Schmidt and Chareyre on equal point and Hollbacher not far behind, the battle for the overall victory is still open.
S1GP Race 2 Top Ten:
- SCHMIDT Marc Reiner (GER, Honda) 9 laps in 18:39.196; 2. CHAREYRE Thomas (FRA, TM) +00.610; 3. HOLLBACHER Lukas (AUT, KTM) +01.555; 4. HERMUNEN Mauno (FIN, TM) +12.850; 5. SAMMARTIN Elia (ITA, Honda) +16.383; 6. COUSIN Nicolas (FRA, Honda) +17.166; 7. SITNIANSKY Milan (CZE, Honda) +17.761; 8. BUSSEI Giovanni (ITA, TM) +49.177; 9. LACOUR Maxime (FRA, Kawasaki) +54.409; 10. PALS Patrick (EST, TM) +1:05.316
S2 Race 2
First race on Sunday was the second race for the S2/Open class. Mickael Amodeo took the hole shot but the Frenchman was quickly overtaken by TM Factory Racing rider Diego Monticelli, the winner of the first race. Amodeo made a small mistake which put him back to fourth behind L30 Honda rider Jannik Hintz and Gazza Racing rider Kevin Negri. With Monticelli in the lead Amodeo didn’t waste any time and moved his way up again till second. Hintz in his turn made a mistake as well and was passed by Kevin Negri and Florian Catrice, who came from fifth. Catrice managed to overtake Negri as well and started his chase to the leader. With Amodeo closing in on Monticelli, the battle for the victory was on, but Italian TM rider didn’t make any mistakes and took his second victory in Castelletto in front of Mikael Amodeo.
S2 Race 2 Top Ten:
- MONTICELLI Diego (ITA, TM) 9 laps in 19:20.312; 2. AMODEO Mickael Bryan (FRA, Yamaha) +11.220; 3. CATRICE Florian (FRA, Kawasaki) +16.235; 4. NEGRI Kevin (FRA, Honda) +22.529; 5. HINTZ Yannik (SUI, Honda) +24.670; 6. SCHAFLER Mario (AUT, Husqvarna) +24.954; 7. BARTSCHI Yannik (SUI, Honda) +30.769; 8. CAPONE Loucas (BEL, Honda) +32.730; 9. CATHERINE Youry (FRA, Honda) +35.284; 10. DECAIGNY Nicols (BEL, Honda) +36.674
S1GP Race 3
With the overall victory still open, the pressure for the riders was high before the start of the last race. At the start it was French multiple champion Thomas Chareyre who pushed his TM first into the tight left corner with behind him Marc-Reiner Schmidt, Lukas Hollbacher and Mauno Hermunen. Schmidt didn’t want to stay behind Chareyre and already in the first lap he overtook the Frenchman for the lead. Hollbacher tried to do the same but Chareyre closed the door. The Austrian rider kept pushing and a few corners later he also passed Chareyre pushing him back to third just in front of Mauno Hermunen. Behind the top four, the other riders from Phoenix Racing were having their own race for fifth like in race one. Elia Sammartin was the strongest of them in front of Milan Sitniansky and Nicolas Cousin. Up front Thomas Chareyre had to let his two young rivals go and had to settle for third in race, same as Mauno Hermunen who was in fourth with no real competition. In the maintime, the battle for the lead was on. Hollbacher closed the gap to Schmidt and was pushing on every corner of the racetrack in Castelletto. Schmidt was able to defend most attacks but with two laps to go Hollbacher passed him on the long straight in the off-road section, Schmidt however didn’t let go and started to fight back for the victory in Lombardia. In the next lap Schmidt did an blockpass in one of the corners of the off-road section and passed Hollbacher again. With one lap to go, still everything was open as Hollbacher kept the throttle full open, but he couldn’t pass Schmidt anymore, making Schmidt the winner of race three and the overall winner of the GrandPrix of Lombardia. Second place was for Lukas Hollbacher and third for Thomas Chareyre.
The overall victory went to Marc-Reiner Schmidt in front of Thomas Chareyre and the last spot on the podium was for Lukas Hollbacher.
S1GP Race 3 Top Ten:
- SCHMIDT Marc Reiner (GER, Honda) 9 laps in 18:32.994; 2. HOLLBACHER Lukas (AUT, KTM) +00.509; 3. CHAREYRE Thomas (FRA, TM) +07.975; 4. HERMUNEN Mauno (FIN, TM) +13.844; 5. SAMMARTIN Elia (ITA, Honda) +19.253; 6. SITNIANSKY Milan (CZE, Honda) +24.076; 7. COUSIN Nicolas (FRA, Honda) +32.302; 8. BUSSEI Giovanni (ITA, TM) +39.145; 9. LACOUR Maxime (FRA, Kawasaki) +41.944; 10. BUNOD Emerick (FRA, Honda) +43.552
S1GP Classification Top Ten:
- SCHMIDT Marc Reiner (GER, Honda) Pts. 72,000 (22+25+25); 2. CHAREYRE Thomas (FRA, TM) Pts. 67,000 (25+22+20); 3. HOLLBACHER Lukas (AUT, KTM) Pts. 62,000 (20+20+22); 4. HERMUNEN Mauno (FIN, TM) Pts. 54,000 (18+18+18); 5. SAMMARTIN Elia (ITA, Honda) Pts. 48,000 (16+16+16); 6. COUSIN Nicolas (FRA, Honda) Pts. 44,000 (15+15+14); 7. SITNIANSKY Milan (CZE, Honda) Pts. 43,000 (14+14+15); 8. BUSSEI Giovanni (ITA, TM) Pts. 37,000 (11+13+13); 9. LACOUR Maxime (FRA, Kawasaki) Pts. 36,000 (12+12+12); 10. BUNOD Emerick (FRA, Honda) Pts. 30,000 (9+10+11)
S2 Race 3
For the S2/Open class the last race in Lombardia started at 13:40 hours. At the start it was Jannik Hintz who pushed L30 Honda in first position into the first corner. Right behind him was Diego Monticelli and Mickael Amodeo. The three rider quickly pulled away from the rest of the field, followed by Florian Catrice, Loucas Capone and Kevin Negri who had a bad start in this last race. In the off-road section Diego Monticelli tried to overtake Jannik Hintz but the Italian TM rider had to break hard and crashed into the gravel, pushing Jannik Hintz outside the ideal line. Mickael Amodeo overtook the first position in the race, with Hintz in second and Monticelli still in third position. Amodeo didn’t make any mistakes anymore and took the victory in the last race in the S2/Open class. Behind Amodeo, Hintz and Monticelli were still fighting for second place. With three laps to go Monticelli took second place over from Hintz and crossed the finishline in second, behind Amodeo. Hintz finished in third. With his second place Diego Monticelli took the overall victory in the S2/Open class and the victory in S2. Mickael Amodeo took the overall victory in the Open class.
S2 Race 3 Top Ten:
- AMODEO Mickael Bryan (FRA, Yamaha) 9 laps in 19:08.374; 2. MONTICELLI Diego (ITA, TM) +03.441; 3. HINTZ Yannik (SUI, Honda) +13.846; 4. CATRICE Florian (FRA, Kawasaki) +19.822; 5. CAPONE Loucas (BEL, Honda) +20.989; 6. NEGRI Kevin (FRA, Honda) +21.688; 7. CUCCHIETTI Mauro (ITA, Honda) +23.859; 8. CATHERINE Youry (FRA, Honda) +24.966; 9. BARTSCHI Yannik (SUI, Honda) +25.424; 10. DECAIGNY Nicols (BEL, Honda) +32.316
S2 Classification Top Ten:
- MONTICELLI Diego (ITA, TM) Pts. 75,000 (75+75+75); 2. CATRICE Florian (FRA, Kawasaki) Pts. 64,000 (22+22+20); 3. NEGRI Kevin (FRA, Honda) Pts. 56,000 (20+16+16); 4. HINTZ Jannik (SUI, Honda) Pts. 55,000 (15+18+22); 5. SCHAFLER Mario (AUT, Husqvarna) Pts. 47,000 (18+16+13); 6. CAPONE Loucas (BEL, Honda) Pts. 46,000 (14+14+18); 7. BARTSCHI Yannik (SUI, Honda) Pts. 45,000 (16+15+14); 8. CATHERINE Youri (FRA, Honda) Pts. 40,000 (12+13+15); 9. BONNAL Steve (FRA, TM) Pts. 33,000 (13+10+10); 10. LABAMAR Alan (FRA, Honda) Pts. 32,000 (11+12+9)
Complete results available HERE.
FIM S1GP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SUPERMOTO – QUICK FACTS
Circuit length: 2.317 mt
Temperature: 28 degrees Celsius
Weather conditions: Sunny with some clouds
The FIM S1GP Supermoto Worldchampionship will be broadcasted delayed, by clicking HERE you will obtain the full tv list
In the photo: S1GP Podium