Ortona (Italy), 19 September 2020 –After a thrilling opening round three weeks ago in Castelletto, this weekend the 2nd round of the FIM S1GP World championship Supermoto will take place at the International Circuit of Abruzzo in Ortona. The track in the region of Abruzzo near the Adriatic sea has very fast corners, long straight and technical off-road which makes it a challenge for not only the riders, but also for the bikes and tyres. Under an clear and sunny sky, the practices, Superpole and the first race of the weekend were held today. After an epic battle Phoenix Racing rider Marc-Reiner Schmidt took the victory on Saturday in the first race of the weekend here in Ortona.
Free & Time practice S1GP
In sunny and warm weather conditions the first free practice of the S1GP class started 10:40 hours. With only five laps on the track Phoenix Racing rider Marc-Reiner Schmidt sets the fastest time in this first session. In the second free practice TM Factory Racing rider Thomas Chareyre was the fastest but the laptimes of the top was all very close. Last practice of the Saturday was the time practice. Thomas Chareyre was the fastest rider in the regular time practice and was the last to start his Superpole lap.
The Superpole started directly after the time practice. First rider was Milan Sitniansky who had to set the time to beat. Next was MTR KTM rider Lukas Hollbacher and his time of 1:12:616 held until the last rider starting in the superpole. Degasoline rider Mauno Hermunen made some small mistakes and to settle for fourth position, behind Elia Sammartin. Next was Marc-Reiner Schmidt. The fast German was very fast but a crash in the off-road section made him last in this session. Last rider on the track was Thomas Chareyre. The multiple champion showed he felt at home in Ortona and took the pole position with a of 1:12:379.
S1GP Time Practice Top Ten:
1. CHAREYRE Thomas (FRA, TM) 1:12.539; 2. SCHMIDT Marc Reiner (GER, Honda) 1:12.713; 3. SAMMARTIN Elia (ITA, Honda) 1:13.081; 4. HERMUNEN Mauno (FIN, TM) 1:13.112; 5. HOLLBACHER Lukas (AUT, KTM) 1:13.389; 6. SITNIANSKY Milan (CZE, Honda) 1:13.946; 7. COUSIN Nicolas (FRA, Honda) 1:14.014; 8. BUNOD Emerick (FRA, Honda) 1:14.535; 9. PALS Patrick (EST, TM) 1:15.405; 10. LACOUR Maxime (FRA, Kawasaki) 1:15.528
1. CHAREYRE Thomas (FRA, TM) 1:12.379; 2. HOLLBACHER Lukas (AUT, KTM) 1:12.616; 3. SAMMARTIN Elia (ITA, Honda) 1:12.989; 4. HERMUNEN Mauno (FIN, TM) 1:13.182; 5. SITNIANSKY Milan (CZE, Honda) 1:14.115; 6. SCHMIDT Marc Reiner (GER, Honda) 1:19.011;
S1GP Race 1
At 17:40 hours on Saturday afternoon, the first race started for the S1GP class. At the start it was KTM MTR rider Lukas Hollbacher who took the holeshot into the first right fast corner of the track in front of TM Factory Racing rider Thomas Chareyre and the Phoenix Racing riders Elia Sammartin and Marc-Reiner Schmidt who had a good start from the second row. In the next lap Schmidt overtook Sammartin and closed directly into Hollbacher and Chareyre. In the next laps Hollhacber tried to get away from his opponents but Chareyre had other plans. At the last corner of the track Chareyre overtook Hollbacher but the Austrian KTM rider passed right back the next corner. In the off-road section Hollbacher made a small mistake and he got passed by Chareyre and Schmidt, but the next lap the situation was different again as Chareyre ran wide at the same exit, giving Schmidt to take the lead and Hollbacher second again. With Schmidt in the lead, the battle was on, but unfortunately Hollbacher made an mistake and fell back to fifth position behind Sammartin and Hermunen. With some best laps of all riders, Hollbacher tried to get back into the top three but the gap was too big and he had to settle for fifth. In fourth place it was Hermunen who did everything he could but the Sammartin didn’t make any mistakes and took third place in this first race. In the lead it was still Marc-Reiner Schmidt but, Thomas Chareyre was all over him and tried to overtake the German Phoenix Racing rider almost every corner. With one lap to go the Frenchman passed him in the last corner, but at the finish line it was Marc-Reiner Schmidt who took the victory after an epic battle until the line, making Thomas Chareyre second in the first race of the weekend in Ortona.
S1GP Race 1 Top Ten:
1. SCHMIDT Marc Reiner (GER, Honda) 16 laps in 19:41.841; 2. CHAREYRE Thomas (FRA, TM) +00.787; 3. SAMMARTIN Elia (ITA, Honda) +05.913; 4. HERMUNEN Mauno (FIN, TM) +06.341; 5. HOLLBACHER Lukas (AUT, KTM) +07.107; 6. SITNIANSKY Milan (CZE, Honda) +23.682; 7. COUSIN Nicolas (FRA, Honda) +33.993; 8. BUNOD Emerick (FRA, Honda) +35.649; 9. PALS Patrick (EST, TM) +36.213: 10. LACOUR Maxime (FRA, Kawasaki) +48.671
For the S2 and Open European championship it is also the second round of the 2020 season. This year we have the S2 championship and Open championship combined in one class. Riders from both classes compete against each other in the same races, but each class has its own classification at the end of the race weekend. With great races at the first round, the riders couldn’t wait to continue of the International Circuit of Abruzzo in Ortona, near the Adriatic Sea. With the sun out and the track in perfect condition, it was TM Factory Racing rider Diego Monticelli who took the victory on Saturday’s race in Ortona.
Free & Time practice S2
In free practice one and two it was TM Factory Racing Diego Monticelli who was the fastest but the competition was not far out so time practice would be a real battle for pole position. In the time practice it was SMX Racing rider Mickael Amodeo who was the fastest and took pole position in front of Diego Monticelli and L30 Honda rider Jannik Hintz.
S2 Time Practice Top Ten
1. AMODEO Mickael Bryan (FRA, Yamaha) 1:13.849; 2. MONTICELLI Diego (ITA, TM) 1:13.919; 3. HINTZ Yannik (SUI, Honda) 1:14.138; 4. KAIVERS Romain (BEL, Honda) 1:14.280; 5. CATHERINE Youry (FRA, Honda) 1:14.361; 6. NEGRI Kevin (FRA, Honda) 1:14.480; 7. MARIE LUCE Axel (FRA, Kawasaki) 1:14.608; 8. CAPONE Loucas (BEL, Honda) 1:14.911; 9. BOZZA Luca (ITA, Honda) 1:15.142; 10. CATRICE Florian (FRA, Kawasaki) 1:15.221
S2 Race 1
First race of the S2/Open class started at 16:50 hours on Saturday. At the start it was TM Factory Racing rider Diego Monticelli who took the holeshot into the first corner of the track, followed by Mickael Amodeo and Axel Marie-Luce on his Kawasaki. In fourth position it was Jannik Hintz who was followed by Kevin Negri. In lap number three Amodeo crashed hard in the exit of the off-road and he had to restart from 11th position in the three taking him out for the victory. Due to this crash Diego Monticelli had a gap between the him and the rest of the field. The Italian rider kept his speed high and didn’t make any mistakes until the finishline which he finished in first position. Behind Monticelli a group of five rider where having their own tense battle. Jannik Hintz tried to get away from Marie-Luce after he passed him, but the Frechman had other plans and was all over the Swiss rider taking, Youri Catherine, Kevin Negri and Romain Kaivers with him. Lap after lap, the five battled for second place in the race. With two laps to go a big crash in the off-road made an end to the battle. Negri and Catherine crashed giving Kaivers the possibility to overtake both of them. Kaivers however lost the connection with Hintz and Marie-Luce who had to fight for the second position behind Monticelli. Marie-Luce closed on again on Hintz and with a few corners to go, he overtook Hintz, taking second place and third place to Hintz.
S2 Race 1 Top Ten:
1. MONTICELLI Diego (ITA, TM) 16 laps in 20:07.513; 2. MARIE LUCE Axel (FRA, Kawasaki) +07.558; 3. HINTZ Yannik (SUI, Honda) +07.704; 4. KAIVERS Romain (BEL, Honda) +12.043; 5. NEGRI Kevin (FRA, Honda) +14.604; 6. CATHERINE Youry (FRA, Honda) +16.064; 7. CAPONE Loucas (BEL, Honda) +16.759; 8. SCHAFLER Mario (AUT, Husqvarna) +18.690; 9. BOZZA Luca (ITA, Honda) +18.997; 10. AMODEO Mickael Bryan (FRA, Yamaha) +19.146
Complete results available HERE.
FIM S1GP SUPERMOTO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP – QUICK FACTS
Circuit length: 1.500 mt
Temperature: 26 degrees Celsius
Weather conditions: Sunny
The FIM S1GP Supermoto Worldchampionship will be broadcasted delayed, by clicking HERE you will obtain the full tv list
In the photo: #41 Marc-Reiner SCHMIDT